Mar 1, 2011

To Tweet or Not to Tweet

Twitter, Twitter, Twitter.  I am not sure how I feel about Twitter.  When Facebook first became popular I had no problem deleting My Space and jumping on the bandwagon, but of course at that time it was exclusive to college students.  However, celebrities are obsessed with Twitter and it just seems like something I have no desire to have.  The interesting thing is that many job applications ask you to connect or post your Twitter page or account, or whatever, as a way to market yourself.
My friends have Twitter. They are always trying to make me have it.  I pretend all the time that I am going to delete my Facebook, but never have come that far.  I pretend that I hate it, but in actuality it has become somewhat of a safety net; it most certainly is one of the first sites I click to when I go online, which is multiple times a day.  I do not have a new or cool phone, mine is pretty ancient, so I am not hooked up to the web through that means.
I was interested to see in the PowerPoint that Twitter can & is being used as a legitimate forum to teach through.  I have not even attempted to make a Twitter account, so I am not even sure what the sign up page looks like.  If I go and look now, I will be forced by my lack of self control to NOT exit from the page without signing up. So, I will take the book’s word for it and believe that there are ways to sign up under educational sections like Twitter for Educators and Twitter for Teachers. 
Schrums chapter discusses student safety online, and I cannot see many parents liking their children tweeting with teachers or even it being highlighted in the classroom… and beyond.  Maybe I just hate on Twitter for no reason.  I cannot judge it unless I join it. (See the self control issues.)
Overall, I do like how the internet and the social networking sites are becoming less taboo as the years go by.  Remember when your parents warned you when the AOL was popular not to go into chat-rooms?  Well yea, they were creepy.  However, now these pages are becoming safer.  They have formed ways to communicate with guards up and with only members of certain groups. I see the progression, and despite my un-interest in joining, I can appreciate Twitter’s efforts. 

http://www.lexevan.com/2011/02/20/daina-galante-contributor/
Like this on your Twitter account! Haha, thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Daina,

    For a very long time I would not give in to the Twitter rage. I am unfortunately not as strong willed as you are and eventually gave in (I also think it had to do with being in the middle of Dance Marathon and giving myself something new to do to pass the 32 hours!). You are very correct in saying that celebrities are extremely into Twitter; which is actually the main reason why I decided to join. I cannot lie to you and say that I do not pick up "Us Weekly" or "Star" magazine at the supermarket because I am an avid reader. Twitter became an instant tabloid for me. Celebrities are more than generous with the information they provide about their lives and they find time in their hectic schedules to update the world every half hour or so. I must say they also use Twitter to promote different charities or organizations they support. Twitter provides a PR outlet to the world and it does so instantly. So for now, I feel as though I am but an observer in the Twitter universe. I think I have only made 35 tweets in the last year. However, I was intrigued to read about the connections Twitter provides for educators in communicating with other educators and educational groups. I did not know those types of groups existed on Twitter. While I think it may take some time for parents and school administrators to agree to allow students to engage in tweeting, I think it could really benefit us as educators in exposing ourselves to different ideas from around the globe.

    -Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you in my dislike for Twitter. On occasion I wonder if Twitter is worth it for me to join, but then I think about it and decide against it. If I joined I would definitely use it like Christina, as a way to view other's tweets. I guess one of the things I do not like about Twitter is that you can be very impulsive with what you write and that can come back to bite you in the butt (which I think many of us have heard celebrities doing). At the same time Twitter, like facebook, is a great way to get the word out. When the riots were happening in Egypt Twitter was one of the first places that people really started discussing what was going on.

    As for Twitter with education, I'd have to educate myself more on how teachers use it with their students. The only way I have seen it used in the classroom was for a summer course I had here at Rutgers. My Professor used it to post when he was running late to class or when he realized what he had asked us to do for homework covered more than we had completed in class. It was actually pretty awesome because the feed was attached to our class website so you didn't have to own a Twitter to view it. It was pretty beneficial to get the new out quickly, but I'm curious how we could use it in the younger grades.

    ReplyDelete